afroFORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

afroFORUM

In the year after Colony 195, the afroCLAN founded a place to gather, the last bastion of hope on the Interbuttz. That place is the afroFORUM.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)

Go down 
+3
Red Leader
Wintermute is dead
The Paranoid Android
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
The Paranoid Android
Administrator
The Paranoid Android

Male Number of posts : 1068
Weapon of Choice : I love that song...
Archenemies : none, thanks.
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Maybe because CLAMP thinks that referencing its own shit will give the mistaken impression of a richly textured and interesting extended universe.
Back to top Go down
http://ukelelenogood.blogspot.com
Wintermute is dead

Wintermute is dead

Male Number of posts : 647
Weapon of Choice : Low Orbit Ion Cannon
Archenemies : Red Team

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 3:46 pm

They do it all the time but most of it is in different universes, the main cast of Tsubasa has Sakura, Syaoran, and Tomoyo in it from Card Captor Sakura. The only ones that are actually related are Tsubasa and xxxHolic, being that they're basically two different sides of the same story. And I've heard that Chobits and Angelic Layer are in the same time line.
Back to top Go down
The Paranoid Android
Administrator
The Paranoid Android

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 pm

I dislike those CLAMP people.

Also, I was thinking. Didn't Nia dying in the end of TTGL defeat the entire purpose of the show? I mean, the point was pretty much KICK LOGIC TO THE CURB! BELIEVE IN YOUR SELF AND IT WILL WORK OUT! And yet Nia still dies. Not only that, but Simon, in a ridiculously uncharacteristic move, just kinda accepts it with grim resignation. WTF? Everything About TTGL's ending fucked over the point of the show. It was awesome, sure, but it blew their whole Aesop to kingdom come.

Edit:
Just watched new Todoke. I am about to go delta-rage. You KNOW they're gonna believe the random jealous girls over Sawako. That's so fucking- ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG! FUCK YOU AYA HIRANO! IF YOU MAKE HER SAD I WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP!
Back to top Go down
Wintermute is dead

Wintermute is dead

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:00 pm

The Paranoid Android wrote:
Also, I was thinking. Didn't Nia dying in the end of TTGL defeat the entire purpose of the show? I mean, the point was pretty much KICK LOGIC TO THE CURB! BELIEVE IN YOUR SELF AND IT WILL WORK OUT! And yet Nia still dies. Not only that, but Simon, in a ridiculously uncharacteristic move, just kinda accepts it with grim resignation. WTF? Everything About TTGL's ending fucked over the point of the show. It was awesome, sure, but it blew their whole Aesop to kingdom come.

It's something we all need to come to accept.
Back to top Go down
The Paranoid Android
Administrator
The Paranoid Android

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 10:09 pm

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THINGS! FUCK LOGIC! DAI GURREN DAN, ATTACK!
Back to top Go down
Wintermute is dead

Wintermute is dead

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 6:17 am

In the 4 hours since I got the computer tonight both Cross Game and Kare Kano have managed to make my eyes tear up. The first one was Cross Game, the part where the youngest sister showed up in Wakaba's yukata was unbelievably sad. And the second was episode 24 of Kare Kano, although I don't really feel like explaining the situation behind it since no one else has seen it, it was unbelievably happy and sad at the same time. God I love these shows.
Back to top Go down
The Paranoid Android
Administrator
The Paranoid Android

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:40 pm

I've always planned on picking up Kare Kano. Guess I'll add it to the MAL account later tonight. But, seriously, Cross Game was fucking BAWW this week. I mean, it's not enough for them that they kept making it appear that Akane was WakaBAWW's ghost hanging out with Kou through the power of immortal love, no, that was pansy shit. Then they took the whole Momiji looks like Wakaba thing to a whole new level by giving her the Yukata. That's just insane. But I honestly got closer to BAWWing when Akaishi dropped the Ramune lemonade bottles.
Back to top Go down
Wintermute is dead

Wintermute is dead

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 7:11 am

Ok, so. I finished Kare Kano and the end was kind of meh as far as endings go. It wasn't even an ending, it just kind of stopped right before the culturable festival, which they had been building up to for like the last 8 episodes so it was kind of dissapointing to not have it in the anime.

Also, I found something I though was interesting on /m/. These were reason givin as to why people like the mecha genre and I had never even thought about it before. I think they're both very good reasons to love mecha shows.

1: I love mecha because giant robots are the most powerful personification of a single warrior on the battlefield fighting larger than life circumstances.

Giant robots have a personality and style that can't be matched by simple tanks and jets, they often become characters in and of themselves, perhaps because of the human form, but I often find myself caring when they get damaged or destroyed moreso than I do about the pilots inside.

Giant robots are symbols of man's determination and spirit, being a mechanical tribute to himself. They are more like warhorses than tanks, companions in battle instead of tools. They are the men that surpass man's limits.

Plus they look so damn cool.

2:Why do I love Mecha? Well...

Your characters remain living, breathing humans. They can't leap 2905 feet into the air and swing colossal swords around. They aren't superheroes, thus we can all relate to them in some way. Sure, Amuro taking Gundam is way far fetched, but he was still just a nerdy kid spending too much time in his room, like most of us here I'll wager. Shinji was a complete coward, but I wonder how many of us would be exactly the same as him, if we were really there.

Yet, these characters are still able to 'step-up' their conflicts into grandiose, high-destruction, high-action, flying, ridiculously exciting city-destroying, space-battling madness, while still remaining human, remaining 'normal' everyday people like you or I. The characters' humanity is generally portrayed consistently throughout mecha series.

Mecha, are an outrageously clever plot device that allows simple stories to become much grander and much more epic. They also have their own unique personality and charm. Just look at Gurren Lagann as an example of this - would it have been the same without the robots? Would Gundam leave such an impression if it were about Tanks instead?

So wait, Mecha is much more than just a plot device. Very skilled designers are paid huge wages do carefully design these machines down to the finest details. Songwriters would spend long hours conjuring up catchy, memorable theme tunes for the robots in their shows.

There's real tradition here now. As mecha fans, we're fully aware of this rich history and these little conventions that are in all our shows. This fan following has cultivated quite a brilliant community, separate from 'normal' anime fans. We all secretly know that the shows we watch are generally just a bit better than all that 'normal' anime.

TL;DR: Mecha is about more than just the robots.
Back to top Go down
The Paranoid Android
Administrator
The Paranoid Android

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 am

"Just look at Gurren Lagann as an example of this - would it have been the same without the robots? Would Gundam leave such an impression if it were about Tanks instead?"

Obviously, TTGL wouldn't have been the same, but personally, my favorite sequence was Viral vs Kamina when they didn't have their mechs, so that's a bad example for me. Would Gundam have left such an impression? No. But I feel like I would prefer it that way. The majority of mecha requires the same amount of suspension of disbelief as the Star Trek teleporters for ever single mech. Also, the coolest job in 08th MS Team was the guy in the hovertank. So I would probably like Gundam better if their machines were actually just tanks.

"Giant robots have a personality and style that can't be matched by simple tanks and jets"

Obviously, but since when do people design war machines based on style or personality? I mean, of course, I'm not trying to say that all mechs should be one hundred percent believable all the time, it's called fantasy for a reason, but again, it seems a little ridiculous if you just sit and think about it. And for some people that's fine, but for me personally, I can't really wrap my head around the stupidity of some mech designs and that keeps me from enjoying the series.

"I love mecha because giant robots are the most powerful personification of a single warrior on the battlefield fighting larger than life circumstances."

I suppose that's true to some extent, but the cannon fodder really fuck that up. And when combined with the thing about the pilots being regular dudes that /m/ browser can relate to, this makes for a pretty big logical fallacy.

Regardless of those complaints, I thought that was a cool post. Repped. ;o
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)   Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned) - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Animu & Mango (Spoilers may or not be tagged, be warned)
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
afroFORUM :: the afroCAVE-
Jump to: